My SIL sent me a beautiful picture of my great niece in her new jumper. Behind her on the sofa is a Fair Isle Blanket. I made that when this tot's Mum was born, back in the 80s. How lovely that Denise has kept it and it is still in use. [no more of these- I've sold the knitting machine] I did a lot of knitting back then. Bob was working most evenings, and once Liz and Steph were in bed, I'd sit and craft in front of the TV. I churned out loads of babyknits for friends, family and charity, as well as jumpers for the girls.
I had some Hamlyn knitting patterns, which came in a folder. It was a part work - and I bought issues 1 and 2. [usual thing, you got the folder free with Issue 1, and then just a small pack of patterns.] I think I only actually knitted up a couple of the patterns- but I kept the folder for years, I recently found a couple of old photos of Liz and Steph, wearing the "Robot Jumper" I made back then. We were incredibly hard up, and I just used random wool which I had to hand. Shall I knit another one? Yes! said Steph. The problem was - I lost the pattern years ago. Since Ro was born, I've looked in CS in case I could find it somewhere.
A while back I put out a request on Ravelry but with no success. I decided I would have to bite the bullet and try and work out the chart with the photos and some squared paper. How hard can it be? I knew I could do it, but that it would take me quite some time.
Then I had another look on Etsy - and thank you Eileen, of MiniHobo. I have downloaded the pattern, all ready to go. The original is in Pingofrance, a long discontinued French Yarn - a lightweight DK.
If I wanted an equivalent now, I could use Stylecraft 'Life', but I think I shall just check out my stash and see if I can weigh out enough of 4 different colours to create a jumper. I need no more than 200g main, and 100g,50g and 50g of contrasts. The first size on the pattern is for a 6 year old - so I would need much less yarn if I reduced it to fit George! Watch this space.

0 Yorumlar